Thursday, December 3, 2015

Beaming With Joy

Every year for my daughter's birthday I get emotional and without fail I was a big ball of emotions on her special day. I can't wrap my mind around how amazing of a person she is turning out to be! I'm sure this is how most moms feel but for me this is different. I can be a pretty blunt person and come out and call it as I see it, even if it is with my own child. 

For an example, she's always been a  good kid, even as a baby. She slept through the night, never had a tantrum and always respectful but she was very shy. Her shyness drove me crazy! It was embarrassing, she wouldn't even say hi to family members that she knew her whole life. The only people she talked openly with was my parents, my siblings and myself. I worried that she would be an introvert her whole life. Not that there's anything wrong that but I wanted her to be able to speak up for herself, use her big girl voice. 

I even put her in softball for 3 seasons hoping that it would bring her out of her shell but nope she wasn't coming of for nothing or no one. It was to my surprise that when I brought her around my boyfriend (now husband) she opened up to him a lot. Even when we brought all our kids together after a few times she was playing with them. Since my husband has been in our lives my daughter has shed her shell, talks to all family members, speaks up for herself in public and is just a ball of energy when out in public. She has become a huge chatter box and all this is thanks to my husband. 

These days she just turned 12 years old, finished her 6th grade level and now going onto 7th grade early, has a little job with a family friend washing dishes, always talking about her dreams for the future and planning on a career, she amazes me! She is more alert and aware of what is going on around her and in the world than the majority of adults. 

From the beginning I said I would never baby talk her or down play her alertness/intelligence because she was a baby, toddler or kid, even at those ages kids are very smart and soak up so much. I wanted to stimulate her mind, teach her how to make good decisions, learn to do things for herself, all of this within reason of course and never not teach her right from wrong. And I am so happy to see that she has picked up on these common skills that will last her a lifetime. 

Her and I have come such a long way in the past 12 years, we have grown together and I couldn't love and appreciated her more!


No comments:

Post a Comment