Sunday, September 6, 2015

The Dreaded Talk

The other night part I of the "dreaded talk" went well. Not so lucky with part II the other night.

No matter how I approach it, how I word it, what the situation is, I am always perceived as the one who is knit picking or being harsh. Every word I say is under a microscope. This is the challenge that I face and will hopefully one day, not. 

The teenage attitude has been going on for a little longer than I can handle. When it comes time for some type of consequences, since "talks" clearly aren't working, then, that's when things take a turn for me. I love and discipline my son no different then my daughter. Example: I recently I took away my daughter's phone because she was getting a little to sassy for my liking with me and did my husband have any issues with that, no. In my sons case, I'm talking about the next time he gives me an attitude or back talks me that I'm going to take away his phone, now it's an issue. All of a sudden it becomes, "let's give him warnings." As if a week long of talks isn't enough and not only that but comparing to my daughter, she didn't get any warnings. If a child is disrespectful to their parents there should be no warning. My kids know right from wrong and are raised to respect us, that is their warning.

Needles to say that part II didn't end so well. The real kicker is that my husband usually works Saturdays but took this weekend off and this is how we spend it? With distance between us days before our wedding anniversary? I thought we were passed all of this. Haven't we learned nothing? Why does it escalate to this every single time it has to do with "his" kids? 

Refusing to let this get the better of our weekend I decided we needed to have yet another talk, take two on talk two. Luckily for us, giving up is not an option. I don't care how many arguments we get into, one way or another we will figure it out, together! And that is exactly what we did. 

We agreed that, the more he is on his phone he does get crankier and phones are a privilege that can be taken away. The next time he gets testy when he is home with me, his phone will be confiscated and he will have to call my husband at work to tell him what just happened. With this new approach I will not be the only "bad guy." If my husband is home then he will handle the situation to let him know that he cannot talk like that to me. My husband is my hero. :) 

When you have kids no one gives you a rule book and when you marry into a blended it family it is no different. As our kids grow our rules and approaches change with them. What worked when they were 10, does not work at teenage years. This is not a lifestyle for the faint at heart, in my husbands words, 'if it was easy, everyone would be doing it." I am happy and honored to be taking this journey with a man that is willing to grow with me (and our kids) rather then giving up because the road can get bumpy, we will triumph together.  


No comments:

Post a Comment