Wednesday, October 14, 2015

My Funky Chicken

Between the kids, moving, cleaning, cooking, school work, my dogs, I have to also tend to my chicken. Recently Miss Abernathy's companions passed away, RIP Abernathy #2 and Abernathy #3. I was really worried about her being lonely so I would keep my Doberman, Red Person, outside in the backyard with her. He's a gentle giant and the two of them have formed their own unique bound. I was considering getting more chicks to keep her company but I had a feeling our move would be happening sooner than later and wouldn't be able to take them all with me. 

Right now I am facing 2 issues regarding Abernathy. Issue #1, I can't take her with me when we move and have asked my parents to take her in to love and care for her. Of course I will still be seeing her often, cleaning her coop, dropping off her food and snacks. I just need someone to house her. My mom is on board but it's just my dad that we need to work on. I have asked him a year ago to please start thinking about having her live with him because there was no way I can take her with me and I just can't send her to a farm. I love her too much! My dad is coming over Sunday to reunite with Miss Abernathy. My hope is that when he see's her he will see her unique personality shine and instantly fall in love with her. Or I'd just settle for him feeling guilty and take her in, haha. 

This brings me to issue #2, she is molting! The molting process for a chicken is not pretty. Their feathers fall out and their egg production either slows or stops and hers has stopped. It's even common for them to feel embarrassed because of their feather lose. This process can last for months. 

How can my dad fall in love with my once glamorously silky smooth chicken when her feathers are falling out all over the place? Not only that but her falling feathers makes a bit of a mess in the backyard. We don't live on a ranch or farm, we're city people with a backyard chicken on our green, clean and trimmed lawn. I put up with it cause honestly, I'm not the one who cleans the backyard and cause I love her and her fresh eggs. But for my dad who's the one who cleans his backyard and doesn't understand the joys of fresh eggs, this can be a huge downside to Abernathy living with him. 

A huge plus for my dad taking her in is saving money on buying eggs. Eventually, yes she will start producing again but I need it to look like he's getting a good deal now not 4 months from now. How else can she pull her own weight over there?

Oh, Miss Abernathy, you are not giving me much to worth with. 

Well I have from now til Sunday to clean up the backyard, give my chicken a good ol pep talk and get some tasty snacks for my dad to feed her with. Wish Abernathy and I luck. 

Before and after pics of my funky molting chicken





No comments:

Post a Comment