Monday, October 19, 2015

My Not So Happy Get-Away

It was a "fun" filled weekend. Usually my husband works Saturdays but thanks to my sister being a guest speaker at a charity event, he took the day off. We took the kids and dogs and loaded everyone in the RV to make it a fun little get away on the beach. If only it would have gone as planned. It was one of those times where every thing did not worked out in our favor. 

We left late Friday night, for some reason we thought it be more adventurous, which turned out to be the same as leaving at a decent time, in addition to being dead tired. We parked right on the beach and I'm still kicking myself for not taking pictures of our view! For us, nothing beats waking up around 6am, with a coffee, on the beach, walking our dogs, it's the best feeling every. With all the moving and bio mom drama, that moment with my family made me forget everything. At home if I get 5 hours of sleep I am grumpy but on our get-aways I can run off of 4 hours of sleep and be happy as can be, funny how that works.

After our over night stay on the beautiful beach, we headed out to another RV park closer to where my sister was going to be giving her speech. On our way we stopped in a big empty parking lot next to a gas station to check our propane. Turned out our propane level was just fine, so as we were driving out of the parking lot my husband and I are joking around, the kids are hanging out, the dogs are laying down and out of no where we hear a, CRUNCH and SCREAMING! We hit a car! Our 44 ft RV didn't clear the turn. Thankfully no one was hurt but the lady was an older woman and was very shaken up. I did my best to calm her. After we switched information, she calmed down and told us that she was so sorry for being upset. We reasured her it was ok and that it was our fault. She later tells us that the reason she thinks she was so upset was because her car was given to her by her mother so passed away 10 years ago. My heard broke! Could this get any worse?! We hit this lady's car, insurance will probably tell her to buy a new one, we had a little damage to our rig as well and now it's her deceased mother's car! My husband felt really bad and told her, that he use to own a body shop so if the insurance company tells her to buy a new one then ask for a check instead and he will fix her car for her so that she can keep her mom's car. This made her feel better and at ease that at least now she has options. 

Once we got back on the road my husband's confidence in driving this big ol beast was completely shaken. Thankfully our site was 20 minutes away and a pull-thru spot, no turning or backing up needed. 

Noon time we arrive, there's was enough time to hook up and or me to jump in the shower and start getting ready for this fancy charity event. As I'm getting ready I see my husband getting upset. I ask what's wrong and wouldn't you know it, more bad news. He takes ONE full Saturday off and it can't even be a peaceful one with out work drama. I do my best to calm him down but by this time its a lost cause. 

With no time to sit around and sulk, we head to my sister's event. My whole family was there, my brother and I are laughing and catching up, I'm mingling with real grown ups, there was a silent auction, the wine and appetizers were flowing. Everyone is having a great time. I look over and there's my husband being distant and lost in his own mind, my son taking after his dad and my daughter complaining about her hair being pulled up too tight in a bun. Are you kidding me? I hope no one else was seeing what I was seeing. I did my best to ignore everything and focused on my sister's awesome speech. She had also donated a cake that made it into the live auction and sold for $325! Despite how great it all was, I needed to get my family out of there before they all further embarrassed me! We left early and 45mins after we leave my sister texts me and says the news station just interviewed her! I missed it! My fussy family made me miss seeing my little sister get interviewed for TV, not cool! By this time I'm not even talking to my husband, this man is not on my good side. 

Next morning, Sunday, I wake up ready to express my disappointment and that did not go over very well. For the rest of the trip it was the silent treatment. This wonderful get away turned into a nightmare! By this time I wanted to be home and away from everyone. We get home and I decided before I left to my mom's house to watch my sister's interview that they recorded for me (since I missed it) I was going to let everyone know how disappointed in their behavior I was. I give all that I have to each and everyone of them and all I asked was to go and support my sister for one evening as a family and they couldn't even do that. To say I was hurt is an understatement. Right after I left. I arrived at my mom's but couldn't go inside til I got some kind of closure with my husband. I called him and sat in front of my mom's house for a good hour on the phone. By the end of the hour he seen where I was coming from and even though I could see where he was coming from, it did not make his behavior right and once I knew he realized that, I felt better. 

I watched the interview and it was amazing! My brother was shown, my aunt was shown, my dad's arm was shown and my mom's face was covered by a vase of flowers but I could still see her hair. Everyone looked so good on TV! Hahaha. What I would give to go back in time and have been there! My baby sister has accomplished so much in her short life and without a doubt am so proud of her! 

It's now Monday evening and looking back on the weekend, it was long, emotional but at the same time learned more about my husband and he learned more about me. The real sad part of the weekend is that out of all the beauty I was surrounded by the only pictures I took was of the accident!  : / 


This poor lady's mom's car


No comments:

Post a Comment