Thursday, October 1, 2015

The Joys Of Raising A Daughter

Call it woman intuition or wishful thinking but the day I found out I was pregnant I knew my baby would be a girl. I've had from that day til now to think about how I would handle, "the talk," comfort her broke heart during break-ups, deal with her hormones and help her along when she starts her menstrual cycle. These talks have been a ticking time bomb for me that seemed to always be right around the corner. Eleven years isn't enough time to prepare for all of this! 

The first of the series was "the talk." Not to brag but the birds and the bees conversation was as natural as the act it self! Haha. There was no actual sit down of a talk and the talk still continues to this day. Every time she wants to know something new or when I feel that she needs to be educated on something we have a discussion about it. I'm not one to tell people how to raise their kids, but this generation is moving fast and I feel the need to be on top of what's being paraded around everywhere. Caitlyn Jenner, need I say more?  

We still have a few more years til we get to mending a broken heart. This one may be the hardest for me. I spent her whole life protecting her and loving her and for some jerk to come and be so loosey-goosey with her heart will not go over well with me. See, it hasn't even happened yet and I'm already getting worked up. 

When the moodiness started coming I had to act fast! There was no way I was going to let this little girl get all moody on me, she was going to have to learn how to control it. We downloaded some books onto her Kindle to help her understand what was going on inside her. This was a huge help because it broke it down in better ways then I could have. The books also went into depth about maintaining a clean body, just all around great books.  

Preparing for the first visit of Aunt Flo, yay? I love that we have an open relationship so that I could help her long with this milestone. For the past few months we have been on, "period watch." It was just a matter of time and kept our fingers crossed that it would happen discreetly. Thank you Jesus, our prayers were answered! It happened in the comfort of our own bathroom while studying on online school! Poor thing had cramps for days. She tells me, "now I know why some times you just lay in bed and when I come in there to talk to you you tell me, step out please I need to be alone." Haha. Finally, someone is understanding me! After everything was all said and done, I have to admit, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Time to pat myself on the back. 

Communication is key to healthy marriages, friendships and even parenting. I combine a lot of prayer with communication to grow a happy marriage and raise kids that are ready to take on the world. 



No comments:

Post a Comment